To give hope to those who feel insignificant.
To inspire those who wish to make a difference.
To remind myself that it only takes one willing heart.
One person can change the world for orphans. Oh, but I'm getting ahead of myself. We still haven't answered the question! As I've prayed and read and researched, one of the things that the Lord has told me over and over again is not to discouraged. Small measures may feel like tiny grains of sand in a giant ocean, but those grains add up, and soon you have a beach shore. With every measure, we are building the foundation on which millions of orphans can be saved from extreme poverty and maltreatment, sex trafficking, malnutrition and more. We CAN make a difference! Let me show you how!
- Pray for the millions of orphans who will not know the love of a father and mother tonight.
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in foster care.
- Receive training to become a foster parent, or give respite care to foster parents in your area.
- Host baby showers or "gotcha day" parties for expectant adoptive parents.
- Host an Orphan Sunday event in your church or community. Go here to get more info. and for resources to share with your church/civic leaders.
- Start a small group within your home and review materials concerning the plight of the fatherless. Consider looking here or here for materials.
- Host a 5K, garage sale, cupcake sale or other fundraiser for orphan care. There are many different organizations to support. Show Hope offers adooption grants and cares for special needs orphans. World Orphans and Stella's Voice build suitable orphanages and offer much-needed care.
- Support organizations that speak up for the less fortunate. These are numerous, but some of my favorites are WorldVision, Compassion International, Show Hope and Holt International.
- Prayerfully consider welcoming an orphan into your home.